A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO THE PARISH
The Parish of North Curry, with
a population of 1600 (2001 Census) and covering an area of 5500 acres, lies eight
miles to the east of Taunton, Somerset, and comprises the village of North
Curry and the hamlets of Helland, Knapp, Lillesdon, Newport and Wrantage.
North Curry has the first designated Conservation Area in Taunton Deane.
The village stands on a ridge flanked to the north and south by moors and
wetlands barely 7m above sea level.
The tidal river Tone, in the northern Curry Moor, frequently overflows the
flood defence system forming a lake for visiting
wildlife. The area is
bordered by the RSPB Sanctuary at West Sedgemoor. The region, being part
of the area known as the Somerset Levels, is characterised by a patchwork
of rhines and by rows of pollarded willows, and remains the centre of the
willow industry producing basket work and charcoal.
northern side of the village is dominated by the imposing Parish Church of
St. Peter and St. Paul, known as the "Cathedral of the Moors".
The Church was built in about 1300 on the site of an earlier church.
Church Road, leading from the Church to the Square, in the centre of the
Conservation Area, has numerous attractive listed buildings.
Square in the centre of the village has a Post Office and general store with a
central green, a War Memorial and a memorial to Queen Victoria. The Parish
pubs and the thriving community also benefits from a primary school,
health centre and pharmacy, coffee shop, hairdresser and
village hall. There is a large sports field for cricket and football and a
further playing field with young people's facilities including a MUGA and
play equipment. Each field has its own pavilion.
You can click on any picture to see
these and other views in more detail